Wednesday, September 16, 2009

IT RUNS!!

Not much work has been on the truck in the last few months. I did get the brake leak fixed. I took off the aftermarket brake light switch and put the original back on and the leak was fixed. I have ordered all the wire needed to make new wiring harnesses but they are still in the box. I had to switch out the fan and pulley in order to get all of the pulleys to accept a 5/8 belt. I also had to install a new crankshapt pulley because I could not remove the one from my parts truck. All of the parts have been installed on the engine to get it ready to run. I found a set of exhaust manifolds which are correct but am having a difficult time finding exhaust pipes. After I put the coolant in the radiator I discovered a leak on the outside of the lower block. It is leaking to the outside and not to the inside. I have bought a product that is supposed to stop that small leak permanently. We"ll see. I put temporary wires on to the starter, switch, generator, regulator and anywhere else needed to run the truck. I have the electric fuel pump hooked up with a pressure regulator which needs to be set to 2 1/2 psi. My temporary fuel tank is a gas can. I primed the carb and tried the engine. It sounded really dry which is understandable since it has been sitting for over a year. After cranking for a short time it acted like it locked up. Oh Shit. I then decided it might be the starter. I also took the plugs out and added some oil to the upper cylinders. I took the starter off and sure enough the starter drive was stuck. I loosened it and put the starter back on and tried it again. It turned over again and after priming the carb it fired. I did not have the fuel pump hooked up at this time. I fired it a few more times to burn the oil out of the cylinders. Boy what a stink in the garage. I hooked up the pump and primed the carb and tried again. This time it ran but the carb flooded and ran over. Too much pressure. I adjusted the regulator and started it again. This time it ran but too fast. I made another adjustment to the linkage and again started it. This time it ran a little closer to normal. I still need to fine tune the carb and pump to get it to run smoother. I have about 60 pounds of oil pressure which is normal. It is really loud because I only have short pipes coming off of the exhaust manifolds. It sure does get the attention of the neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment