Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Floor Pans


Before I can set the cab into place I needed to replace some of the cab floor. The pans under the floor mats were rusted pretty bad and the transmission cover was beyond use. I bought a new transmission cover on Ebay which was in very good condition and I ordered new replacement right and left front floor pans. I welded these into place removing and doing one side at a time so that the cab would not loose its shape. I bolted the transmission cover into place on the first half before starting the second half to assure that it would fit when I was done. Welding the thin metal is a little tricky. It works really well to use a copper backing place for the tack welds to prevent burning holes. The copper acts as a heat sink and the welding material will not stick to the copper. To make these copper pieces I took some copper water line and split it and pounded the halves flat or into whatever shape I needed. With the pans installed I removed the rust from the remainder of the bottom of the cab with a abrasive wheel. I coated the entire bottom with Eastwoods rust converter and primed it with rust encapsulator. The welded seams were sealed with autobody sealant. After these had dried I sprayed the entire bottom with 3M Underseal which is a rubberized undercoating. I will do the same to the interior of the cab once I get it set into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment