Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Engine


With the frame and components back together it is time to put the engine back where it belongs. It has been rebuilt by a local machine shop so hopefully it will run well. Before I installed the engine I needed to reattach the transmission. This involved also installing the clutch. The clutch disc was worn but not gone but it still needed to be replaced. I went to the local automotive parts house to order the disc and they could not order a disc but instead had to order a kit which included the pressure plate and bearings. That was fine except when the parts arrived they were not the same as mine. The pressure plate had a different hole pattern and therefore it would not bolt to my flywheel. My pressure plate is attached with six bolts evenly spaced around the circumference of the flywheel. The kit pressure plate had six hole but they were grouped in twos at three different locations forming a equilateral triangle. A replacement for my plate was not available but it could be rebuilt. Because mine looked OK I decided to reuse it and was able to get just the disc at NAPA. I did replace all of the throw out bearing and pilot bearing. I didn't have a line up tool so I improvised one with what I had around the garage. It worked. I bolted on the new water pumps, checked the distances between the mounting points to make sure they matched the frame and set the engine on the frame. While guiding the engine into place I inadvertently released the cylinder on the engine hoist to fast and it fell. Luckily it was positioned over the mounting bolts and only dropped a short distance with not damage. Whew!! My helper at the time (son in law) thought that was pretty amazing. I have installed the generator, starter, oil filter canister, breather tube, dip stick, fan and radiator. I still need to get the electrical parts installed including the coil, voltage regulator, plug wires, distributor and solenoid. Before I get to this I want to get the cab back onto the frame in the correct position. I need to roll this out of my garage in a couple of weeks to make room for a rummage sale. The pressure is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment