Monday, September 27, 2010

First Drive

I finally drove the 48 for the first time a few weeks ago. It drove fine and seemed to have plenty of power. I didn't do any shifting and kept it in third gear for the trip around the block. When I got back it seemed like the engine was running hot. I don't have any gauges hooked up yet except the oil pressure. After some checking I found that the new thermostats I had installed in the beginning were not working so I put in two NOS thermostats I found in one of my other trucks and it cured the problem. I put in a temporary heat gauge and it is running cool. I then discovered that my battery wasn't charging so again after some hair pulling and cussing I found that the generator was not working which led me to the voltage regulator which also being new was not working. I installed the old one and problem solved. I also put in a ammeter just to make sure. After all that then the clutch would not disengage so I couldn't take it for a second drive until I pulled the transmission and replaced the clutch pressure plate which was not that easy to find because the engine and flywheel I discovered are from a 1950 Mercury and not a 48 Ford. The guys at carquest were able to fine one. After this was all installed then the engine would not turn over so I replaced the starter and the solenoid and it still would not turn over. Finally I recharged the battery and this seemed to do the trick. The starter still seems to turn slow so I think I may need to get a better battery. I took the truck out for another drive this weekend and it worked good. I seemed to shift alright and handled well. I took it about 2 miles down the county road and then around the block. Remember it has not fenders or front and the glass is still out so it looks a little strange. I probably would have gotten more than one ticket if the Sheriff would have stopped me. I had better not press my luck. I seems that most of the bugs are being worked out so now it is back to body work. Fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment