Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Summer is going FAST




The progress on the truck has been relatively slow. I have managed to remove the paint from the two front fenders, upper and lower grill sections and the body. These items still need a lot of attention but at least it is some progress. I hate body work. I found a pretty decent grill and seat at the local salvage yard so I think with a little effort these parts will work fine for now. I was going to start the truck a few weeks ago because it had not been started since last winter and I was getting to the point where I needed to hear it run and maybe take it for a short spin to check out the brakes, shifting, and steering. Wouldn't you know it the new electric fuel pump I installed didn't work for whatever reason. JUNK. I ended up ordering a new one from Speedway. The recommendation was to use a pressure switch and a momentary switch in combination with the pump. If the engine would die while no one was in the truck the fuel pump would continue to pump fuel until the switch was shut off. This way the pressure switch will shut the fuel pump off when the oil pressure drops. The momentary switch is to prime the carb while starting until there is enough oil pressure for the electric pump to kick in. It took some doing and a few unnecessary parts to get it to work but I finally got it. I fired it up and it sounds great. I still have the coolant leak problem. I put some industrial strength epoxy on the block where it leaks hoping that it stops or at least slows it down. I still haven't been for a drive but maybe this weekend it will happen. I also made a battery tray from parts from the 1950 parts truck and some angle iron and plate. It is more heavy duty than the original which is good. I got that in tonight. So I have cleaned and painted the inner fenders and front fender supports. The inners are on and I will need to put the supports on before I can assemble the front of the truck to see how the parts will fit before I get excited about any paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment